Wednesday 20 February 2013

WOYWW - 194

Greetings lovely readers.

I do hope you're all fine and dandy and that life is treating you gently.

If its Wednesday then it must be time to get our Nosey Pants on and blog hop like hoppy things around the crafty desks of the blogging universe to see what everyone is up to.  This brilliant blog hop for nosey parkers like me is hosted by Lady Dunnit over at  Stamping Ground

This is my desk this week.

I was trying to have a bit of a sort out but it all went horribly wrong and I got distracted by a doily.

Said doily was duly distressed.  Well actually  it wasn't until I attacked it with some ink.

Then I cut out the middle as I figured it would look better scrunched up a little
(and would fit my card blank better!)

I stamped the cut out centre and wanted to heat emboss it but the doily was
far too flimsy and became a potentially incendiary experiment!

So. I cut out a circle from some textured cardstock, distressed this with similar colour inks, then stamped  the fairy image
on to another piece of card.  I was able to heat emboss this with copper embossing powder, and then lightly tapped some ink over the top of it.    To complete the card I added a couple of 3d flutterbyes and some stickers for the greeting.



Crafty Lessons learned today


  • Very cheap doilys from the Emporium of Poundness do not take kindly to being heat blasted and crumple alarmingly quickly. 
  • If you intend to heat emboss an image its a good idea to let your distress inked cardstock dry completely first.  Otherwise when you add your powder to your stamped image the powder is highly likely to stick to the entire piece of cardstock you are using.  Sigh. 
Happy Wednesday!  

27 comments:

  1. That's lovely Kim ... you are clever! I start out with the best will in the world but then become distracted ... often by doilies, but more often by possible containers for spring bulbs!

    Have a lovely day!

    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any distraction is a good distraction ! ;) Thanks for visiting x

      Delete
  2. Love your lessons for today Kim - I can definitely relate to the second as I have done this one myself!! Love the pretty doily border and might have to try this! Happy WOYWW to you from Helen 82

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice card! I found out about the doilies that same way making Valentines cards! Thanks for sharing and have a great week! Vickie #28

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card, we have some el cheapo doilies too, wow do they scrunch rather easily!! As for getting distract........ooh chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bears - yep they sure do - they also tear very easily too! Gah!! Chocolate? Where?!

      Delete
  5. Love the use of the doily, and yes, it's better without the middle - bet you can reuse that on something though! Helen, 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not this time I can't - it's in a crumpled heap!! lol Thanks for visiting Helen x

      Delete
  6. It's very pretty. I never thought of using doillies. Good plan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card. I love the doily distraction and your experimenting worked beautifully x
    Happy WOYWW Heather # 72

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when things start as I thing then end up being something quite different - great card

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have those fairy stamps! lol.Love the doily effect, really cool. Will remember what happens when you heat them, as I bought some of those too. Have a great week,Hugs, Shaz #91 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaz - I got the fairy stamps from a charity shop a couple of years ago el cheapo!

      Delete
  10. Well if that doily was distressed at the start, I bet it was really happy in the end - fantastic experiment and results. Thanks for stopping by earlier on too..have a great week - Happy WOYWW Gill x #103

    ReplyDelete
  11. a great card and thanks for the heads up, I really love the colour you distressed with very pretty
    Wishing you a really great WOYWW
    Ria #73

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a dastardly doily dilemma! I was going to ask where you got such a fab stamp from but I see it's unlikely to be available. :(

    Bet this won't post from my phone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Despite doily distraction delaying desk de-cluttering - delightful decoration delivered! Sorry couldn't help myself! Love your card and your post. Happy WOYWW MM x #108

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful card Kim! Thanks for the tip about the doily. I love the distress ink pads and I also use the stains as well...wish I could buy them all lol! Happy WOYWW.
    Janene #123

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy WOYWW. I saw a clever use of a doily demonstrated this week. They cut out the middle, then put one cut in, so they had a long ruffle to use as a border. So pretty - and a different way of using up our stash. Ali x #40

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely distressing you have made there! Not seen them in our Poundness Emporium, must double check next visit. Happy WOYWW. Karen 144 x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good lessons learned - I'm making a mental note right now.
    April #130

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the colours youve chosen, thanks for the tips too
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete

Working from home

I've taken a precious day of annual leave today.  I've really struggled this week with feeling so yuk and I needed the restorative ...