Tuesday 12 February 2013

Shrove Tuesday



Do you love them or hate them?

(I'm talking about the pancakes here and not the cat!)

My kids adore them and will eat them at any opportunity, dredged with sugar, drenched in lemon, smeared with chocolate spread, coated with maple syrup  (sometimes all at once!) and faster than I can make them.  Which, I have to say, I'm not particularly very good at! The first one is always a massive failure.  I never let the pan get hot enough for some reason and end up with an undercooked splodge!

 I tried to palm the kids off with some of the chilled, ready made ones but they're just not the same.  They're just big discs of flaccid, grey yuk.

For me pancakes are a bit of a non-entity really.  A bit... meh! Which is mad because I adore yorkshire puddings!   Tonight, just to be sociable mind, I shall partake of one little one.  Delicately stuffed with cinnamon scented roast plums.  

In fact sod the pancakes.  I'm just having plums! 

How do you eat yours? 



13 comments:

  1. URGH! hate pancake day. The Mr insists on making them, he burns every pan in the house leaves jugs spoons and sieves, caked with gunk, strewn across the worktops. The only people who love it, are our 2 dogs, who watch and wait in the doorway as they KNOW there will be a sneak feast on the floor when he starts tossing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Harvey's been happy too. I'm very glad I haven't got involved this year!

      Delete
  2. Not doing pancakes today, treats only on weekends here atm, but being of a Yank persuasion, my pancakes are thicker and would be topped with a large dollop of lovely butter and true maple syrup. Mmmmm... *drool* lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of going savoury tonight. We have some cooked ham and sweetcorn to use up and I had thought of adding it to pasta - but pancakes would work too.

    The first one is supposed to be a wreck, by the way. That's just how pancakes are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's ok then. I keep meaning to try a savoury version but always reach for the sugar and lemon!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad it's not only me, I made 5 splodges before I made a perfect round one! I eat mine(and I had quite a few as nobody else wanted them) with sugar and lemon juice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Splodges are us - perhaps we should have photographed them and had an ugliest pancake competition!

      Delete
  5. Hi Kim (waves)
    I like them traditional with sweetener and fresh lemon juice I have to TRY and be sensible!
    Though I've been so engrossed today having a good old clear/sort out we're actually having ours on pancake Wednesday ;o)
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my lovely. Oo can you come and have a sort out at my house too! I'll cook your pancakes! ;)

      Delete
  6. Sugar and Lemon. I think I missed Pancake Day... is it the same as Mardi Gras here in France?

    ReplyDelete

Working from home

I've taken a precious day of annual leave today.  I've really struggled this week with feeling so yuk and I needed the restorative ...