Sunday 13 January 2013

Snoozesome Sunday

Hello Bloglies and a very warm welcome to my new follower Christine.

 I went out to my firm's 'Winter Party' on Friday and as a result had a bit of a late one.  I was very, erm,  'tired and emotional' by the time I got home - I personally blame the poisoned carrots **smiles innocently**

I've given myself the weekend 'off'  from houseworky type duties.  I find this very difficult to do and always seem to feel guilty at sitting and doing "not-a-lot".  I always feel like I should spend my weekends cooking, cleaning, shopping and washing but this weekend I've played hookey from the lot of it - apart from a  quick top up food shop this morning.  I spoke to a friend yesterday and we were both bemoaning the fact that we feel that we have to justify being a little lazy from time to time.  After a busy working week, no-one should have to justify a little R&R time.  I  decided to use this feeling as a prompt for a page in my art journal.

I really do struggle with 'art' - and I mean that most sincerely (folks).  What I see in my head refuses to transcribe itself onto paper and I often end up feeling annoyed and frustrated.  I'm trying to use the journal for the purpose of  'therapy' and escapism however and so I'm just going to have to learn to be a little more kind to myself and accept that whilst I am no great artist - art journalling means that there are no expectations, limitations or boundaries.  Once I get over that obstacle in my head and stop with the silly comparisons to other people's work, then perhaps I'll feel more able to express myself a little better.

Any - this the entry I created based on the feeling that I really have enjoyed just being at home this weekend.

Initially I sprayed the pages with Perfect Pearls mist  in pewter, as a base.  I dried this off with my heat gun, before inking up some bubble wrap and pressing this onto the pages. I sprinkled some copper embossing powder over this and heated it to set it.   I then spritzed the page with some pink lustre shimmer mist and stamped "It's OK to SIMPLY BE" using an old alphabet stamping set I had.  I used two 'cog' wheels I had been sent in a swap and heat embossed these in copper  I then wrote the word 'unwind' around the cogs.  Using a couple of miniature stamps, I stamped butterflies and the word 'Bliss' randomly around the pages.    The little blue starry patch at the bottom of the first page was actually a die cut cup cake wrapper which I had saved from when I went away recently - and although the cakes were lovely the wrappers were far too pretty to simply throw them away.  I used one as a mask and inked over it, then flipped it over and pressed the inked side into the page.  I finished off by sticking a couple of sentiments on and the wrote words associated with relaxation around the page edges.  Thanks for looking!

Hope your weekend was a good one.

See you soon! :)


7 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea Kim, you're very talented and original! Know what you mean about feeling guilty just sitting around ... it's a woman thing!

    Have a Happy Monday!

    Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Claire - I can assure you its all smoke and mirrors though! Yep the guilt thing is deffo a woman thing! xx

      Delete
  2. Oooooooo! I like that! I am totally useless at stamping. I get messy bits everywhere. I have no idea what I do wrong but I never get a clean edge. And I run out of ideas for backgrounds very quickly. I think what I'm trying to say here is that I could never have done this, so you don't have to beat yourself up about 'art'. You're good at it! (You just have to stop thinking of 'art' as being the stuff that ends up in art galleries.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ. I've only just started to use stamps - I was a bit scared of them I think! You're very kind. Thanks for your lovely comment x

      Delete
  3. Brilliant, exactly what art journalling is all about. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you bears - I need to allow myself to 'just create for me' I think rather than worry what other people think :)

      Delete
  4. It's lovely to have a way of expressing yourself, with music, writing, art projects, anything that makes you feel good has to be a great pastime.
    I think I would go mad if I couldn't sew (I started a quilt when the builders were here, called "Sanity saver!").

    ReplyDelete

Working from home

I've taken a precious day of annual leave today.  I've really struggled this week with feeling so yuk and I needed the restorative ...